I've been reading one of the most insightful and interesting books over the last week suggested to me by my friend Andy, unChristian by David Kinnaman. Amongst the statistics presented I found one truly sad set of figures:
While born again Christians are nearly just as likely (i.e. statistically insignificantly different) as anyone else in America to
- engage in illicit sexual activity
- get drunk, high or misuse prescription drugs
- be mean or vindictive to someone
They were actually less likely than everyone else to do the following
- recycle (68% of born again Christians recycle compared to 79% of everyone else)
- use the f-word in public (28% born again, 39% everyone else)
Folks, I personally apologize for my brethren who have told you that their lives are different because of Jesus but they aren't.
But I ask my brethren a simple question... if you would like to be like everyone else in all the ways that count would you at least do me and my children a favor and recycle and maybe drive your SUV a bit less while you're at it?